14 October 2013

To 37, with hope


Dear 37,

I used to think a decade was a long time.

But to think that's how far away 17 is now for me, a decade doesn't seem very long at all.

I'm sure the next 10 years until we meet will fly by, packed full of adventures, successes, mistakes, lessons learnt and most importantly, life as I've made it.

I hope by the time we meet, I have mastered the art of loving my life. That I only surround myself with people who radiate a positive influence and who don't try to manipulate me in a mission to make me compromise my own beliefs and morals in order for them to benefit. And if I do come across those people, that I have learnt to say 'no'.

I hope I have learnt that disappointing and failing myself is a lot more detrimental than letting down others because I have put my happiness and inner peace second.

I hope I have learnt to trust my instincts implicitly, seeking my own council when it comes to making the most important choices in MY life.

I hope I still have the ability to laugh at myself and that I still realise doing so can make a shitty situation a little more bearable.

I hope I have found a way to healthily balance life and that I've remembered family always comes first. While having a fulfilling career is important, I hope I know the love and commitment put into raising happy, secure and bright children is wherein my true legacy will lie. If you have kids, I hope you tell them you love them every single day and that you read to them every single night without fail.

37, I hope you have kept your sense of adventure and your willingness to continually learn. I hope you've kept your family and friends close and held onto your belief that love can last forever. I hope you've embraced every line and wrinkle as proof you've been living life fully and with boundless energy. I hope the path you've forged has led you where you want to go and that you have managed to focus on attempting to only control the controllables.

I hope you have learnt to be kind to yourself and that it's ok to fall apart and ask for help sometimes. It doesn't mean you're weak, it just means you don't have to be in it alone.

I hope when we do meet 37, I can still see the vibrant, fun loving, bubbly 27 year old I am now; albeit a little wiser and at stiller calm within myself.

Don't forget 37, that there is a difference between just existing and actually living every day as best you can. Remember, as hard as it is sometimes, that age is only a number and you're only as old as you think you are.

So if you keep thinking young, you'll always be 27 to me.

I'll be seeing you, 37 and until then...

With hope,

- 27


No comments:

Post a Comment