10 October 2013

"Use your words, Katie...because biting isn't nice."

I love words. I love writing. I love talking (to others, to myself, to my pets...whoever will listen, or at least feign to listen). Always have and safe to say, always will.

Broca's area (did I mention I'm a genius in neuro-anatomy as well? Kidding. I'll give good ol' Google props for that find) in my brain has clearly been on hyper drive for the vast majority of my 27.66 years of life.  

Just ask my mother.

When I was three years old and probably not much bigger than a Cabbage Patch doll (I've always been stunted by the shorty-pants gene even from the beginning), I was leaving a restaurant my auntie worked at in San Diego after having a meal there with my mum and nana. Loitering outside the establishment were a pair of Labradors on leashes being held by their owner lady.

A sucker for all creatures great and small even at that age, and possessing an early gift for the gab, I approached the women and asked her if her dogs were boys or girls.

When she informed me that they were both in fact males, my face dropped. Looking overly disappointed, I said:

"That's too bad..."

Asked why it was such a shame they were lifters and not squatters, I quipped:

"Well they can't have babies because they don't have a uterus."

Uterus. I used the word uterus. In context. At three.

Typical toddler response, right?

Suffice to say, that was only the beginning of my journey to always seek out the most grammatically advanced version of any word I can. 

Instead of a contradiction, there's an oxymoron.

Instead of a light bulb moment, it's an epiphany.

Instead of a paradigm, it's a paradijum (well at least I said so all though Intro to Media and Communications in my first year of uni...no one ever corrected me...they just bathed in the ironic amusement pool my mispronunciation continued to fill).

I have long known that words are the most powerful tool one can possess - they can inspire; they can change minds; they can break hearts; they can mend relationships; they can cause a revolution; but most importantly, they can connect humans on the rawest of levels.

It is the power of language that separates us from all other earth dwelling creatures (I don't want to get too universally specific because I haven't giving up hope that there's another planet out there that's painted totally pink, dipped in sparkles where every citizen has a pony for a pet).

Books have been a part of my life since before memory serves and my speech was nurtured with ultimate care (and a little regimented critiquing) by my mother; if I ever said I did "good" instead of "well", I was chained to my bed and left without food for a week (note: as a writer, embellishment and exaggeration are as familiar to me as a paint brush is to an artist...they're my creative tools!).

I strongly believe parents should read to their children from the time they're a onesie-wearing, poop-machine squirming in their cradle and they should never temper their imagination when they can start expressing it. All ideas have a place in this world, whether realistic or completely insane...how else would J.K. Rowling be rolling in her billions if it wasn't for her off the chart imagination? (Bitch.)

Little Miss Lou Who will not be a platform for venting, bitching, begrudging or negativity.

It will be a creative outlet I use to share my thoughts on everything from fashion to movies to books to social issues to travel to the triviality of everyday life.

So here I am doing what my parents have always told me to do...

"Use your words, Katie...because biting isn't nice."

Good life advice, I'd say.


https://twitter.com/LilMissLouWho
https://www.facebook.com/littlemisslouwho








No comments:

Post a Comment